06 December 2009

The Sable Quean


Work on Brian Jacques' Sable Quean was completed in mid-August. One of the project's more unexpected developments was the suggestion that I work in pencil. Until this point, every normal-release Redwall book has been illustrated in ink. Although I love working in ink, pencil has always been my medium for Redwall projects, so it seemed like a natural choice. I had also just finished reading JRR Tolkien's Children of Hurin and was inspired by Alan Lee's beautiful chapter spots.

For those keeping track, The Sable Quean is Brian's 21st Redwall novel. It will be released on February 23, 2010. Some illustrations are already available online, via the exhaustive Redwall Wiki. Once the book is widely available I'll be doing a thank-you post for those people who posed or otherwise contributed to the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment